Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Dear Guardian Angel

Have you talked to your Guardian Angel today?  I have to admit, I don't talk to my Guardian Angel.  I need to work on that.

There is only one mention of guardian angels in the Catechism (336).  St. Basil said, "Beside each believer stands an angel as protector and shepherd leading him to life."  The Catholic Church teaches that each person has an angel whose job it is to watch over us.  As the quote from St. Basil suggests, their job isn't necessarily protest us physically, but to protect our souls and get us to heaven.  There are plenty of stories about angels saving people from accidents and that would support Psalm 91:11-12.

"For he commands his angels with regard to you, to guard you wherever you go.
With their hands they shall support you, lest you strike your foot against a stone."

The Devil tried to tempt Jesus with power over life and death by using these verses.  The Devil told Jesus to throw himself down from the height of the wall surrounding Jerusalem.  Jesus said, "Don't put God to the test."  Message: don't test God by taking stupid chances with your life; that is not the job of your guardian angel.

If my Guardian Angel's job is to get me to heaven, then I imagine that would be easier if I actually talked to my Angelino.  If you're like me, this little prayer is a good place to start:

Angel of God, My Guardian Dear
to whom God's love commits me here.
Ever this day be at my side
to light and guard and rule and guide.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment