Monday, January 7, 2013

Not appropriate

It's interesting the things I did not notice before I had my very own little person for whom I'm responsible...like kid's movies. I have watched lots kid's movies with my nieces and nephew in the past, but I missed a few things.

My husband and I have been working on building a DVD library of movies and shows we're okay with and that we are okay watching over and over and over again. Last week we added Cars to the mix. I'd seen it years ago, but while my son was watching it I caught a few things I had missed.

I was working on the computer and barely paying attention to the movie when suddenly the word "idiot" snapped my head around. Then, the phrase "hillbilly Hell" was used twice. Huh?! Really? This movie is targeted to my son - who is 3 - his pull-up diapers have Lightening McQueen plastered all over them! I know that he's going to hear these words, but does it have to be in a kid's movie? I want to keep the name calling at bay for all long as possible and I'd rather he never swear.

There are times I feel the desire to simply shield him from everything, but it's hardly possible and probably not healthy. And then I think about trusting in God. I have to trust that the Holy Spirit is helping me in this whole parenting process and I have to trust the Holy Spirit is guiding my son, too.

I guess it's time to hunt down more of the oldies: Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang, and Robin Hood and Lady and the Tramp...

1 comment:

  1. It only gets worse from here. My wife despairs every time she has to take our 5-yo daughter clothes shopping. (Have you seen what passes for swimsuits for little girls?!)

    ReplyDelete