Friday, January 27, 2012

Disease & Tyranny


Did you hear the news?  Apparently, pregnancy is a disease that needs to be treated.  There is a pill you can take so that you won’t get this horrible disease and there is an invasive surgical procedure that will rid you of the “diseased cells.”
The disease of pregnancy is so horrible that the U.S. Government is forcing the Catholic Church to not only abandon it’s teaching on birth control and abortion, but the Catholic Church is to fund it through insurance.  
You’d think there would be some kind of loophole for an institution as large as the Church and outspoken on the sanctity of life.  Sure there is.  Only Catholics can be employed, only Catholics can receive the services, and the services can only be religious instruction .  I’m not sure the Pope could qualify for the exemption.  The Catholic Church has one year to comply with the new law.
I find this terribly disturbing for two reasons.  First, I’ve been pregnant twice and I didn’t realize I was diseased.  In fact, my husband, family, friends, and doctor were thrilled!  The only time I felt even remotely diseased was toward the end of the pregnancies when I thought the baby was eating my brain; turns out it was sleep deprivation. 
Second, I thought my religious practices were protected in the Bill of Rights.  I’d like to put in a snide description here about groups that are protected, but I decided against it.  
I am a Catholic.  I am pro-life.  I am an American.  I’m fine if other people disagree with the Catholic faith or my pro-life stance.  Let’s talk about it.  
But, there is no room for discussion with Kathleen Sebelius and the Obama Administration.  The message that has been sent is: me and my Catholic faith can piss off.  Well, I’m pissed off, but not the way I think they want me to be.  No government can force me to disobey my conscience - that’s TYRANNY!  
Please contact your Senators, Representatives, the Department of Health and Human Services, and the President.  Tell them that America was not made for tyranny.

No comments:

Post a Comment