Monday, February 20, 2012

Have I told you about those sisters?

My visit to the Nashville Dominican Sisters filled my heart with J-O-Y!


It is clear the Holy Spirit is running blessedly amongst the sisters because you can't fake the fruits of the Spirit; either you've got 'em or you don't!  


The first thing I noticed from all the sisters that we met is how they smiled!  I'm not talking about the kind of smile you put on your face when you meet someone.  These were big, genuine, happy smiles.  They were filled with joy...and it is a joy to be around joy-filled people.


I had the opportunity to meet several of the postulants.  I have never been in the company of so many young women religious (sisters or nuns).  It gave me great hope for the future of the Catholic Church.  The Church needs young men and women to answer the call to this radical kind of lifestyle.  In the same way, the Catholic Church needs couples to follow the radical path of dedicating their marriage to God and living by the teachings of the Church.  The Church also needs parents to tell their children that the priesthood and religious life is an option for their lives.


Together we can mutually support each other: people in religious life and married people.  We have much to learn from each other about prayer and sacrifice and holiness.  We need to pray for each other and to share the joy (and struggles) of our vocations.  


Let's spread our joy around...

No comments:

Post a Comment