Sunday, February 19, 2012

On being a teeny, tiny part

Another week of minimal blogging...we had a priest friend (my son's Godfather) visiting.


On Friday, my husband, Fr. Simon, and I took a trip over to Nashville, TN to meet the Nashville Dominican Sisters.  It was a fantastic day!  The joy and holiness of the sisters is contagious and I'm set for the next week (if not longer).  While we were there, I literally "bumped" into a young woman that I met while I was a retreat director.  She is now a postulant with the Nashville Dominicans and she looked so happy!  


The retreat center I worked at primarily catered to teens.  My staff and I worked retreats for Catholic high school students around the Chicago area.  I loved working retreats and believe it is a very important ministry to offer teens, but the downside of the ministry is that I rarely saw the students after retreat.  In a lot of ways it is like emergency ministry; you meet them, you share with them, you pray they come to know God better, and then they leave.  It's a ministry where you sow seeds, but someone else tends the seeds and reaps the harvest.  


I received such an incredible gift on Friday to see a seed planted six years ago has blossomed beautifully.  It is extremely humbling to realize that I was an instrument of the Holy Spirit.   I feel very small (in a good way) thinking of the sheer awesomeness of God.  God is always ready to use us to make a difference.  A smile, a kind word, listening, seemingly small acts can make a big difference in the lives of others. 


I'm sure I'll be blogging more about the Sisters in the coming days...they were truly joy-filled!

No comments:

Post a Comment