Thursday, May 24, 2012

Help us Obi Wan

The first movie I remember seeing in the theater was Star Wars in 1977 at the Portage Theater on Milwaukee Ave in Chicago.  When Darth Vader's stormed onto the screen through a cloud of smoke I was terrified (I was only 2 1/2).  Star Wars was my favorite movie for a long time, still one of my personal favorites.  It's such a great story of the battle between good and evil.  


There's a scene in the movie when the beautiful Princess Leia's urgent plea for help is discovered on R2-D2 by Luke Skywalker.  The message is looped and the audience repeatedly see Leia saying, "Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope."  I was reminded of that today when I saw today's Psalm response: Keep me safe, O God, you are my hope (Psalm 16).


Here's one of the good things about not living "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...": we have Jesus Christ.  My hope is in the Lord, not in The Force or in the fallible person of Obi Wan or Luke Skywalker (although their skills with a lightsaber are amazing).  I don't need to send a message via a robot to get help, all I have to do is get on my knees.  Sure, it would be nice to have Jedis burst through the doors and kick some butt when I'm in physical danger, yet they can do nothing for my soul.  


Keep me safe, O God, you are my hope.  While I love Star Wars, only Jesus Christ is the true hope for the galaxy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment