Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Easter Vigil

Last night my husband and I attended the Easter Vigil.  If you've never been to the Vigil, then mark your calendars now for next year.  Easter Vigil occurs in the evening of Holy Saturday and is usually 2-3 hours long (and sometimes even longer).  For Catholics who get antsy if Father goes fives minutes long, 3 hours at a single Mass might seem like forever but it is worth your time.
Not only do we listen to the story of salvation history, God's plan for saving us from ourselves, we also get to see new Catholics enter into the fold.  I am always awed when adults want to join the Catholic Church.  I love the Church and think everyone should join us, however we don't always get the best press.  I am inspired when someone is willing to look past the surface "stuff" and examine the Church on a deeper level.  Watching an adult be baptized or listening to the Profession of the Candidates causes me to pause and examine my faith.  
If I was not already Catholic, would I choose to be Catholic?
The Candidates profess the following: "I believe and profess all that the holy Catholic Church believes, teaches, and proclaims to be revealed by God."  WOW!  As a cradle Catholic I never have to stand up and say that in front of people.  Could I do it if I had to?
After a not-so-great Lent, the Easter Vigil is a great way to start the Easter Season.

Jesus Christ is risen today!  Alleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment