Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Making room

Today's Gospel reading is from Matthew 11:25-27.  I was able to go to Mass this morning and the line Father preached on was: "you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to the childlike."

Father began by talking about two priests in his order who are pursuing doctorates and then talked about lay people obtaining advanced degrees in theology.  I wasn't sure where he was going with this line of thought and I was preparing to go apopletic if he said it was wrong to have an advanced degree.  Thankfully, he didn't say that.

Jesus was trying to make a point, though, about "the wise and the learned."  I goof around about going crazy over bad theology, but if I ever get to the point where I think I know it all and my way is the right way - then we have a problem.

My heart (and my brain) has to be childlike.  What the heck does that mean?  I think it's about being awed by Creation.  Everyday my son points out something new, some new discovery that he's made.  His little mind and heart are soaking up everything around him.  In-between the temper tantrums and time-outs, he is joy on wheels.  He has room for awe in his life, he has room for the Holy Spirit.

 When I am not overjoyed by a sunset or a flower or meeting another person, then I am not being childlike.  What filled you with awe today?

No comments:

Post a Comment